Saturday, October 23, 2010

Moving Day

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky,
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.
Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin',
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues,
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me baby,
There ain't nothin wrong with that.
Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.


Well, OK it's really not a "deluxe" apartment, but it does have a private bathroom and two windows.  And I guess it's not really towards the east, it more towards the west end of the hospital.  Other than that we moved it on up, uh OK down the hall. Yep we moved down the hall and so now we are those people.  You know - those people that get to walk their loved ones down the hall.  I even kinda walk like ole George Jefferson when I'm going down that hall - chest poked out, chin way up, arm swinging way behind my back, but I bumped into a food cart and the nurses told me to reign it in a little.  Yes we get to wheel Heath outside to see the sun shining after 53 days.  I'm sure it felt like coming out of solitary confinement to feel the sun on his face for the first time in a very long time. He sat there and soaked up the outside.  He smelled the fresh air and listened to the buzz of traffic and birds chirping.  He sighed and shook his head as if he was in disbelief.  It was hot and he couldn't tolerate it for too long, but just knowing that it really exists made his day.  His drivers were arguing over who would push him and then one of them told the other one to stop bossing,  so my mom had to step in.  You just wouldn't believe how bossy Casey was to me!  Then, Gunner and Paige had the pleasure of driving Heath around.  It was a bittersweet moment.  As one would push from behind, the other would navigate and hold his hand.  They were finally able to help.  They are just like the rest of us - waiting to be able to do something. 
The new deluxe apartment is nice, but it's not home.  We still have a few more at bats before we can get home. 

'Til Tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. April, you are too funny. I just love when you write. I want a whole book!! I am so happy for Heath. I am going to get over there to see him if my bunch would stop getting sick!! I know it meant alot to him just to breathe fresh air. Hospitals get old and he has been in there a long time. But we must have a little more patience and God will get him home. And April, don't be bossy to Casey. Your mom taught you to share so take your turn. LOL!!! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete