Sunday, September 19, 2010

The kind of man


He could still feel her kiss on his lips. As he ran through the fire, he could only hear Casey's last whispered words to him- Be Careful. As he finally got away from the engulfment of flames he ran towards what he knew was woods. The fire was still burning- he could feel it. Putting it out was the only option. The only resemblence of a shirt was the collar left around his neck. The fire had burned it before devouring the skin below. His jeans were now mere ashes. His leather belt left what now looked like a tattoo of unburned skin around his waist. The spurs on the back of his boots made a clang clang sound with each step he took. His breathing was heavy and labored. He ran into the night as fast as his legs would carry him. As he ran her words echoed in his mind and a little round face with a toothless smile filled his eyes. He had to keep going. He couldn't stop, not until he got to that house. The cool air all around him was no comfort for his charred body. The house he was looking for finally came into view. As he approached the house he began to scream for help. No one looks out a window, no one yells back. Barking dogs greeted a scantily clothed stranger as he walked onto the carport. "Mrs. Melba please help me! I been burned! Call 911! " he calls out as he kicks on the door. Someone yells from the inside "Do I need to call 911?" "Yes! Please." As she opens the door and sees this scared, burned man, her heart skips a beat. She hurries to call for help and then back to the hurt man on her carport. She asks him who she can call for him and he tells her his Daddy and gives her the phone number. He asks for water and she helps him drink the cold, quinching liquid. As they sit there waiting for help to arrive, he apologizes for at least the third time for waking her up. She chastises, "Heath! Stop apologizing!". As the precious minutes pass, he realizes that his injuries are life threatening. He looks at his guardian angel and says, " If I don't make it please tell my little boy, Gunner, that I love him." She looks at him in awe and promises that she will. The ambulance roars into the drive with sirens blaring and lights flashing. As they open up the back doors and prepare to get a patient up off the ground onto a stretcher, they watch in amazement as he gets up and WALKS into the ambulence. They race away into the chilly evening and he begins his journey.

Heath's incentive to get to that house that night was a little boy that he still had to teach to read. He still had to take him to Disney World. He had to watch him play his first pee wee football game. He had to teach him how to drive and comfort him when that first girl breaks his heart. There are so many reasons to live. He couldn't leave, he had to stay. He had to tell him that he loved him one more time and feel his arms around his neck.

Melba didn't have to keep her promise that she made to Heath that night . She didn't have to tell Gunner that his Daddy loved him. Heath got to do that - And tonight, he did it face to face and heart to heart. On day 30 Heath laid his eyes on that little boy that loves cars, monster trucks, and his new bicycle. Gunner got to put his arms around his daddy and warm his heart.

Gunner - Never doubt how much your daddy loves you. I hope that one day you will read this and know exactly what kind of man your daddy is. He's the kind of man everyone wants on their team. He's the kind of man that people will call when they need help and he will go in a heartbeat. He's the kind of man that will honor promises. He's the kind of man that people will line up to give blood for. He's the kind of man that will walk through fire to be with you.

'Til Tommorow

19 comments:

  1. ashleigh heckendorn pickardSeptember 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM

    oh my. everytime i read these posts, i prepare myself. i know its going to be tearful. tonight, its sobs. i cannot begin to thank God enough for keeping Heath here on this earth. God has His plans and He is working through Heath. I am just speechless for words...his strength and courage...and the love he has for his family...for Gunner. this is what we hear of when people say "once in a lifetime love." Gunner is Heath's love...Casey is also. Heath, I love and admire everything you do. Continue on. There are so many of us praying and thinking of you always. You are loved by so many. Love doesn't even really describe it, really. What you have standing behind you is family...this ommunity is now your family, even more than it already was. I love you and you're precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! April, Debbie is right. You need to put these together for a journal or book. It is amazing to read and realize what Heath went through during those moments which probably felt like a lifetime to him.
    He is constantly in my thoughts and prayers along with the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, April!! WOW!! I too cry as I read your blogs and WOW what a brother you have! You are soooo very talented in writing, I am just in awe...Still praying for Heath & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, I've known you forever but never knew your little brother. You make him come alive and make me cry everytime I read these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whenever i read these i have to be in bed where i can cry like a big baby but tonite when callie posted that g man was gonna get to see his daddy to feel his touch to look in his eyes and tell heath the one thing he needed to hear father to son "daddy i love you" was the best thing possible i was in brookshires shoppin and just started ballin my eyes out its things like this that make you relize how important life and loved ones are

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW & WOW!!!!!!! Heath is amazing and so is his sister. I talk for alot of people, we all can't wait for the next post. You all are on the minds of many and we are all still praying for you. PRAISE GOD PRAISE GOD AND PRAISE GOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. April I tell Robert everynight about your blog but tonight I had to call him to come read it.Just let me say we both cryed. You really should turn this into a book. It would be an awesome blessing to other burn victims and a great encouragement to new victims. Isn't it awesome how God can take something that the devil(who is here to kill,steal and destory) meant for harm, and turn it into a great testimony for Him!!! praying, love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin Lewis said

    April! I can't read this at work anymore! My students are looking at me like I'm crazy! Heath is a hero to Daddy's everywhere. My relationship with my son flashes before my eyes reading Heath's story. I'm gonna have to wait til I get home to read these from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. April, Even If I didn't know Heath or what a sweet person and a fine father he is, I think I would still cry everytime I read your blogs. And I've seen the gag reflex firsthand when Coty would terrorize him with it. The funniest thing is, It bit Coty in the behind one night. He was making fun of heath and made himself sick. That was priceless! You have made me laugh litereally out loud with people at the bank wondering why I'm giggling with tears running down my face. I always knew there was something very special about Heath. My prayers are with him and your whole family everyday! Keep writing! I love reading them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. April,

    We're sitting here at working just boo-hooing. So thankful that Heath got to love on his little man again and that sweet boy got to see his Daddy. Thanks again for all of the updates and posts.

    You really don't realize how talented you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. April, I read this last night, but I still can't seem to get the words that Heath said to Mrs. Melba out of my head. Those words made me hug my kids a little tighter and give them just one more kiss before bed. The love of a child is so precious, and I know that Heath's love for Gunner is what keeps him fighting and pushing on. His strength through this has been completely amazing, and the support of his family, loved ones, and friends has been empowering as well. I continue to think about and pray for Heath every single day! God is Great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. April, God has given you a gift to touch people's hearts with your words. Thank you for sharing Heath's story in such an eloquent way. He is definitely being prayed for as well as all the family. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh April, you touch me so, rarely in life do we get to meet really amazing people, but to have met and watched grow up, and call them my really good friends is an honor. I've always thought you and Heath were the kindest and the most polite kids I had ever met, ask your Dad.
    I cherish our families friendship, our memories! and more to come. I Love you. Susie Gore

    ReplyDelete
  14. April, everytime i read i sit here and i just cry, but on this one i just bald my eyes out and even looking @ that pic you have up was just amazing that is the sweetest thing ever! its just so priceless...heath is a very strong young man and has a great family and friends cheering him on and supporting him and not least praying for him each day! you are a GREATT writter and heath will be so proud of his big sis when he reads all of this in how much he is loved, we are still praying so hard for him and yall. we love yall Brooke n Family

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't thank yall enough for taking this journey with us. Thank each and every one of you for your sweet comments. I hope that you can feel like you are right there with us. Thank yall so much for each and every prayer. I'm so blessed to live in this community that cares so much about people. We are a rare breed. This doesn't go on everywhere. Keep praying and please share this blog with anyone you think would like to keep up with his progress and struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It never fails!!! I love your blog and it makes me cry every single time. It's so much more real than a Facebook status. Hearing the story just made me crumble... I'm so so so happy that Heath got to see Gunner!!! I know it was probably tough for little man to grasp, but I'm also sure he knows he's got one special and dedicated Daddy!!! WE LOVE YA'LL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. April, Absolutely love your blogs. What a talent you have for writing!! The picture of Gunner hugging Heath is priceless. Our prayers are being answered with Heath's daily improvement. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated on Heath's progress. You truly are a wonderful sister and a very special person. We will continue praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. April, I put off reading this one because I knew it would be a tough one. Tears are still falling as I try to type. Thank you again for sharing all of this with us. We get a small glimpse into Heath's accident, pain, healing, and family. Love you, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  19. April, You have just brought tears to my eyes... I could not even dream of going through something like that. This was really deep. You are my soul sista... Jeannine

    ReplyDelete