Monday, September 20, 2010

Small Towns

*photograph by the beautiful Mandy Morgan*


Remember when Sarepta got the red light? It was the highlight of our week.  We didn't have much going on so we decided to go entertain ourselves.  We loaded up a few friends and sat in the back of Jeremy's truck and watched people run the redlight or come to a screeching halt.  The screechers were the funniest. The look of horror when they realized there was a red light there was just priceless.  I bet we watched people for hours.We laughed til Bo Allen made us leave.  Isn't small town life great?  I love to tell people how small of a town this is.  I love to tell them we have a post office, one convenience store, and one red light. 
Hours after Heath was burned people were asking : What can we do to help.  At that point we didn't even know ourselves.  Pray - just pray was our number one request.  Sometimes we feel like we need to do more than pray.  People want to help out.  When you live in a small town, the community feels as though there is a need to take care of each other.  When I tell you that people have overwhelmed us with good deeds and showered us with love - I am understating.  Tell me where else in this world would you find a school full of small children wearing maroon yarn bracelets : one loop for Heath and one loop for the Hornets.  Football games have been dedicated with full out themes : Play Hard, Pray Hard.  I have seen grown men wearing red wrist bracelets that read Team Heath.  I have seen a waiting room with so many people the halls are overflowing with them.  I have seen food - boy have I seen food.  We have had so much food that we were worried whenever Heath woke up he would think we were the Widettes.  (for all you youngsters google Widettes - SNL) I have seen campers set up and fully furnished for our use.  People have called and asked if they could do fundraisers - anything from ropings to softball tournaments.  People have given and given and then given more.  We will never be able to repay all the love and kindness that has been bestowed upon us.  Small town people are good.  This community and the surrounding communities have blessed us beyond measure.  And whether you put one dollar in a jar, said one prayer, or bought one fish plate, we thank you all the same.  You have been praying and God has been listening.  The Blood Drive Saturday surpassed even what Life Share had expected.  And tonight : when I pulled up and saw the line of people picking up fish plates - well it was my turn to cry.  I saw all Heath's coworkers, their wives and even their children working the line.  It touched my heart to see these men who love Heath so much finally getting to do something for Heath.  People- let me tell you- if you ever doubt how good this town is or what kind of people this community has please call me. On behalf of my entire family - we thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Now on a lighter note- Mr. Foley has left the building! That's right people- the catheter came out today! If you've ever had a catheter you know what has to happen next. They gave him til 8 o'clock for it to happen.  During the middle of a conversation about scab picking, Heath told us it was time.  "OK Buddy! Good Luck!" we all yelled! We went out into the hallway to anxiously wait.  We tried to kill time by making idle conversations, but we all had our mind on Heath.  I can't even remember what we talked about.  Suddenly Nurse Kim calls for backup.  Nurse Ryan rushes in.  We all look nervously at each other and continue to wait.  The minutes pass slowly.  We begin to sweat.  My mother sits in a rocking chair and rocks silently back and forth with a furrowed brow.  I think I may have heard her humming Amazing Grace but I'm not sure.  I look at my watch again- 5 more minutes have passed by. I curse and if there had been a cigarette there and it had been 1950 when smoking was allowed in hospitals, I would have smoked.  Colby starts to cry a little. "What could be taking this long?", he cries.  Casey stares that silent stare.  She's worried, I can tell.  My father stands by the door straining to hear anything! Then just as we were about to call in reinforcements, the door swings open and Nurse Ryan proclaims "Its here.  Victory!! He peed!".   The cheering was deafening and nurses were slapping each other on the back and shaking hands.Casey and I high fived. Colby sat down and wiped his eyes.  My mother looked toward Heaven and mouthed a silent "Thank you Lord".    As I looked at my father a single tear streamed down his face and I knew it was one of the proudest moments of his life.
*the above story may have been dramatized for comical purposes*

Heath is going to kill me for that one but I couldn't make ya'll cry again today. And on a more truthful note: The feeding tube is out too.(no fancy story)  He is one step closer to getting out of ICU!    

Til Tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. April, all i can say is wow. These postings are incredible and i look forward to a new one each day. Even though I am all the way up here in pennsylvania, I'm glad to have something like this to keep me updated. Heath and I didnt know each other well, but we knew each other. I will continue to pray as everyone else for his recovery. Stay strong and dont let go of the writer you have become. Love you girl, and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have ever thought you could be so thankful for pee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was more exciting than when he first learned to potty!!!LOL! He is moving on now toward getting back to this little town. Keep up the good work, Heath! We are all still praying and cheering you on. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April I love ya'll so much!!!! Tell Heath hey for me !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great April! He is just moving right along! We call that wonderful community God's country and I wish my daughter could grow up there to experience it like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A first time for many things, but that is the first time I ever cried while reading a "student" narrative about peeing. I can't laugh although you are trying to give us cheer. My heart just aches and my tears just flow. But keep on blogging, April. You are still making a 100 percent A+ in English. The fish plates were great- very delicious! Love, Freida Cave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cried anyway even though you did not intend ~ April these blogs are so marvelous, you don't know how we look forward to reading each one and hearing how Heath is doing. Thank you for taking the time to keep us up to date. Tell Heath that we are thinking of him and keeping him in our prayers!!!! Along with the rest of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to laugh and cry at the same time, but you have the knack for bringing them both! What a blessing small towns are - I feel sorry for those who have never experienced the outpouring of love such as you are seeing now; and such as we saw when Greg had his accident. I'm so glad that I live here in Sarepta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. God's country is right. When we picked our baby girl up to bring her home for the first time that's what Justin said, "Come on baby girl, let's go to God's Country." Reading this confirms what we have known for years. Praise God for the progress in this slow and painful process. But rest assure that we will all be here to cheer him on as you all say, "Come on Cowboy, Let's go home to God's Country." Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been readin these wonderful posts by you...&, as always, I cried again today. I don't think you could dramatize any of them for comical purposes & not squeeze a few tears out. God bless you & your family. Ya'll are in our hearts & prayers everyday. Your brother is a miracle & you've so blessed our lives with these touchin, yet tear jerkin, stories.

    Dar Patterson

    ReplyDelete