Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One step down...many to go




Some of you might not know it, but I'm kind of the black sheep of the family. I don't know a thing about horses. I don't know the difference between a lead rope and a saddle horn. I don't rope or ride. I don't eat mayonnaise or even drink sweet tea. I know - you should probably sit down after that one. I'm just different. But I'm OK with it. Now the other people in the family are all ropers, riders- cowboy lovers. Heath really loves cowboys. Heath really loves one cowgirl.



Casey...... doesn't her name just roll off your tongue? Dear sweet Casey. She said her dad really thought her name was spelled KC for a long time. I think he thought it was short for Kickin' Cows or something like that.



She came all the way from Idaho to find Heath. That's what he tells her and everyone else that will listen. Since the first time I saw them grinning at each other like two possums eating grapes, I knew that they were in love. Icky, sweet, slobbery love. And I couldn't be more happy. She has been a bright spot in our lives.



Her role in Heath's recovery is vital and essential. On day 6 he opened his eyes and found she was there. He later told me he dreamed that she had left. But she hasn't left. She stays by his side as long as the nurses will let her. She is there when he wakes and she is the last thing he sees when he shuts his eyes for the night. She is the calm in his storm. I've watched her look at him as he fights the fever and pain. She's wishing she could make it better for him. It kills her to see him in agony. When the pain subsides for a few moments and he wakes from a nap - he beams and says " Hey Babydoll!". I'm sure her heart melts all over again.






Today was a victory. After 22 days in Burn ICU, Heath stood and took his first step. It was glorious, courageous, and painful. One day soon he will walk out of the Burn ICU. His journey is just beginning and I will be cheering him on the whole way.






'Til Tomorrow




19 comments:

  1. Hooray!!!! I can't wait to tell Brandon he stood and took a step! That's so exciting. We are so happy Heath found someone amazing like Casey!! She is such a sweetheart and we can't wait to get to know her better. Praying always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her name.....lol I am loving your blog and Heath and your family are continuously in my prayers! I love you even though you are different! Aren't we all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog is absolutely wonderful. Tears are running down my cheeks right now. I am so happy that Heath has taken a step! Wonderful. Wonderful Wonderful. Keep this up, we cant wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! You are a good writer April! I am so glad he found someone like her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest....Casey is such an inspiration to him! There is nothing like being in love..even that icky, sweet, slobbery kind, LOL. Thankful for all of Heath's progress and prayerful that it continues! Much love to you all April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like LeAnn mentioned above, tears are just streaming down my face. I really appreciate these updates on the blog. Good job, April! Those writing lessons in English I-IV have turned you into a REAL AUTHOR! I met Casey when I visited the hospital; she's so wonderful! God bless all of you as you endure the days and months ahead with Heath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i so bless here this up date ..i know its hard when my brother was where yall at ..going into that bunrt unit was so sad because all you do hope and pray ,,the pain is unreal ..just knowing your bless and you are love out here help be of good cheer he in God hands ,,hugs prayer your way ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank yall so very much! I can't do much, but I can keep him on everyone's mind so they will keep praying. And Mrs Cave, you are right you deserve some of the credit!!! I loved English!
    And Casey- its a great name!!! You know first hand I'm more of a shopper type! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful news! Heath is gonna be home before we know it. I know he has alot to go through first, so we'll all keep praying that everything will stay on schedule and he will improve daily. A, it is ok if you're not a cowgirl. I have always loved you just like you are!! Your writing is wonderful and inspirational. You're right, Mrs. Cave done good!! LOL love, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  10. April I love reading your blogs! We're so thankful that Heath took that step, and we're greatful he's got great family, friends, & Casey to be there for him. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What amazing progress is such a short time! The Lord is really at work; He is awesome. Love your blog, it's a joy to read and not just because of the updates on Heath. Love you all - keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. April, you are an incredible writer! Your blog is just wonderful. What a great way to keep everyone informed of Heath's progress! Heath (and all of you) will continue to be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alright April I have read this entry three times to myself today and i just read it to Ben and each time I get chill bumps and i cry. The tears I shed are not only tears of sadness for what Heath and all of you are going through but tears of joy and thankfulness because of the progress that he's making and the blessing that Heath, Casey, and the entire Warford family is to all who know you. Thanks for the wonderful updates. Praying and Praising....

    ReplyDelete
  14. April, you have such a way with words...you should be a writer...I can't wait til the next chapter...Praise God for Heath's progress. We will continue to pray...I thank God that he has someone like Casey and all of his family that are such an encouragement and inspiration to him. That will go such a long way in his recovery. Love ya'll...Betty Shows

    ReplyDelete
  15. April I am so HAPPY for Heath and ya'll! Still praying, praying & praying. God is GOOD! Can't wait for the next update. Love ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful update. He's making remarkable progress. The suppport and love of family and dear friends along with the many prayers will continue to result in more good steps in the healing process. May the Lord Bless you All!

    ReplyDelete
  17. April your a great writer! It's really great to hear true love stories, in this day they are few and far between. God's blessing to you all and we continue to lift you all up to the Lord.can't wait till tomorrow to see what great things you have to write about.. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my...what a way with words..It's like poetry. Heath is so blessed to have family and friends that keep him lifted up to our Lord. I truly believe Casey (kc)is God sent..God knew what Heath would need during this journey and sent Casey to help all of you through it. Keep posting I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy to hear of all the progress that Heath is making and continuing to pray daily for all of you. I am so glad Heath has someone like Casey to light up his world everyday!!! Always Praying!!

    ReplyDelete